Are you sick of your roast potatoes coming out of the oven sad and soggy? Do you yearn for a crispy skin and pillowy inside? Then read on.
1kg potatoes (we don’t discriminate against certain types)
100ml olive oil (or 100g duck fat if you’ve just been paid)
- Put a large roasting tin in the oven and preheat the oven.
- Peel the potatoes and cut each into 4 even-sized chunks.
- Drop potatoes into a boiling pot of water and cook until al-dente.
- Meanwhile, put 100g duck or goose fat or 100ml olive oil into the hot roasting tin and heat it in the oven for a few mins, so it’s really hot.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander then shake the colander back and forth a few times to fluff up the outsides.
- Carefully put the potatoes into the hot fat – they will sizzle as they go in – then turn and roll them around so they are coated all over.
- Spread them in a single layer making sure they have plenty of room.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 mins, then take them out of the oven and turn them over.
- Roast for another 15 mins and turn them over again. Put them back in the oven for another 10-20 min, or however long it takes to get them really golden and crisp. The colouring will be uneven, which is what you want.
- Sprinkle with salt and rosemary; serve straight away.